Thursday 11 December 2014

The Different Representations of Men and Women in the Rock Industry

While researching into alternative rock magazines I looked at the different representations of women and men in the rock industry. I noticed that magazines such as Kerrang! usually have all men bands on the front or one woman on the front with men behind her such as Hayley Williams as she very well known in the rock industry. This is because more women rock listeners are 'hardcore' fans and buy magazines with their favourite band members on the front than men rock listeners. I Google searched 'Kerrang!' and all the front covers that came up have males on the front. Therefore my magazine will feature a woman on the front and my double page spread will be about an all woman band.



Women are also represented as 'Masculine' and wear jeans with t-shirts on stage and even at award shows. Hayley Williams and Jenna Mcdougall.

                
Both women are wearing jeans and t-shirts therefore the women in my magazine are going to wear clothing that is considered feminine, although woman wearing masculine clothing makes the genders seem more 'equal' my magazine will prove that women can be successful in the rock industry even if they are wearing dresses and skirts. However this does not mean they will be wearing really short and revealing clothing items, my magazine will not sexaulise women in order to try and get men to buy the magazine. My magazine is aimed at both men and women of an older age, so they don't feel out of place or silly when reading my magazine because Kerrang! is aimed at young teenagers and therefore can be informal at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment